My research and public health work are closely interconnected and have focused on drug-resistant TB and TB/HIV co-infection for the past fifteen years in multiple high-burden settings, including South Africa, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Kenya and Viet Nam. Recent research has sought to describe optimal methods for TB screening in people with HIV, geographic spread of XDR TB, TB transmission in hospitals and households, use of existing and novel diagnostic assays in adults and children, and treatment outcomes of patients co-infected with HIV and MDR/XDR TB.
From the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic, I have worked with the Fulton County Board of Health and Georgia Department of Public Health to support diagnostic testing, conduct case investigations, and prepare rapid epidemiologic analyses of surveillance data. In June 2020, I joined Dr. Allison Chamberlain and several Emory faculty as part of the leadership team for the Emory COVID-19 Response Collaborative (ECRC). The mission of the ECRC is to bring together Rollins faculty, staff and students to support the Georgia Department of Public Health's COVID-19 response through partnerships with local health departments. Rollins students have been an integral part of this effort and have applied their training to the COVID-19 response.
I am also a clinical care provider for people living with HIV in the United States, initially in the Bronx, NY, and currently at the Atlanta Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center, GA.
A complete list of my published work can be found here.
Areas of Interest
- Global Health
- Infectious Disease
- Public Health Practice
Affiliations & Activities
Complete List of Published Work in MyBibliography:
- Nelson KN, Jenness SM, Mathema B, Lopman BA, Auld SC, Shah NS, Brust JCM, Ismail N, Omar SV, Brown TS, Allana S, Campbell A, Moodley P, Mlisana K, Gandhi NR., 2020, Social Mixing and Clinical Features Linked With Transmission in a Network of Extensively Drug-resistant Tuberculosis Cases in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. , Clin Infect Dis ., 70, 2396-240
- Smith JP, Gandhi NR, Shah NS, Mlisana K, Moodley P, Johnson BA, Allana S, Campbell A, Nelson KN, Master I, Brust JCM., 2020, The Impact of Concurrent Antiretroviral Therapy and MDR-TB Treatment on Adverse Events. , J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr , 83, 47-55
- Suryavanshi N, Murrill M, Gupta A, Hughes M, Hesseling A, Kim S, Naini L, Jones L, Smith B, Gupte N, Dawson R, Mave V, Meshram S, Mendoza-Ticona A, Sanchez J, Kumarasamy N, Comins K, Conradie F, Shenje J, Nerette Fontain S, Garcia-Prats A, Asmelash A, Nedsuwan S, Mohapi L, Lalloo U, Cristina Garcia Ferreira A, Okeyo E, Swindells S, Churchyard G, Shah NS., 2020, Willingness to Take Multidrug-resistant Tuberculosis (MDR-TB) Preventive Therapy Among Adult and Adolescent Household Contacts of MDR-TB Index Cases: An International Multisite Cross-sectional Study. , Clin Infect Dis , 70, 436-445
- Peterson ML, Gandhi NR, Clennon J, Nelson KN, Morris N, Ismail N, Allana S, Campbell A, Brust JCM, Auld SC, Mathema B, Mlisana K, Moodley P, Shah NS, 2019, Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis 'hotspots' and sociodemographic associations in Durban, South Africa., Int J Tuberc Lung Dis, 23, 720-727
- Shah NS, Auld SC, Brust JC, Mathema B, Ismail N, Moodley P, Mlisana K, Allana S, Campbell A, Mthiyane T, Morris N, Mpangase P, van der Meulen H, Omar SV, Brown TS, Narechania A, Shaskina E, Kapwata T, Kreiswirth B, Gandhi NR, 2017, Transmission of Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis in South Africa. , N Engl J Med , 376, 243-253