Elizabeth C. Rhodes is an implementation scientist who works with community and clinical partners to conduct health equity research projects and translate scientific evidence into practice, both in the US and globally.
The overarching goal of her research is to advance our understanding of how to successfully implement and scale evidence-based interventions to improve maternal-child health and nutrition. She is particularly interested in person-centered interventions to optimize postpartum health and prevent chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease after adverse pregnancy outcomes such as gestational diabetes and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy.
Examples of current projects include: a multi-site comparative effectiveness trial of delivery models focused on early detection and control of postpartum hypertension and reduction of postpartum depression among populations experiencing disparities; an evaluation of a breastfeeding peer counseling program for women with low incomes; formative qualitative research to understand Latina women’s experiences of breastfeeding care and recommendations for quality improvement to inform the co-design of interventions; and a mixed methods evaluation of produce prescription programs for people experiencing food insecurity.
Dr. Rhodes also leads and contributes to training programs that build implementation research capacity among researchers and health practitioners in Ethiopia, India, and Mexico.
Her research and capacity building efforts have been funded by NIH, PCORI, UN World Food Programme, and World Health Organization.
Areas of Interest
- Chronic Diseases
- Health Disparities
- Implementation Science
- Maternal and Child Health
- AB 2006, Brown University
- MS 2011, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- PhD 2018, Emory University / Nutrition and Health Sciences Program
- Postdoctoral Fellow 2021, Yale School of Public Health & Yale Center for Methods in Implementation and Prevention Science
- GH 509: Transl&Implementation Sciences
Affiliations & Activities
Emory Global Diabetes Research Center
Early Career Researcher Editorial Board, Maternal and Child Nutrition
American Society for Nutrition Global Nutrition Council
- Hagaman A, Gonzalez Rodriguez H, Egger E, Bitewulign B, Case H, Alemayehu AK, Rhodes EC, Estifanos AS, Singh K, Woldesenbet Keraga D, Zahid M, Magge H, Barrington C, 2023, Navigating and manipulating childbirth services in Afar, Ethiopia: A qualitative study of cultural safety in the birthing room, Soc Sci Med, 331,
- Arslanian KJ, Vilar-Compte M, Teruel G, Lozano-Marrufo A, Rhodes EC, Hromi-Fiedler A, García E, Pérez-Escamilla R, 2022, How much does it cost to implement the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative training step in the United States and Mexico?, PLoS One, 17,
- Rhodes EC, Wilde LaPlant H, Zahid M, Abuwala N, Damio G, Crummett C, Surprenant R, Pérez-Escamilla R, 2022, Shifting to virtual breastfeeding counseling for low-income women in the US during COVID-19: A partner-engaged multimethod evaluation of program adaptations, Front Health Serv, 2,
- Hagaman A, Rhodes EC, Nyhan K, Katague M, Schwartz A, Spiegelman D, 2021, How are qualitative methods used in implementation science research? A scoping review protocol, JBI Evid Synth, 19,
- Pérez-Escamilla R, Vilar-Compte M, Rhodes E, Sarmiento OL, Corvalan C, Sturke R, Vorkoper S, 2021, Implementation of childhood obesity prevention and control policies in the United States and Latin America: Lessons for cross-border research and practice, Obes Rev, 22,
- Rhodes EC, Damio G, LaPlant HW, Trymbulak W, Crummett C, Surprenant R, Pérez-Escamilla R, 2021, Promoting equity in breastfeeding through peer counseling: the US Breastfeeding Heritage and Pride program, Int J Equity Health, 20,
- Rhodes EC, Suchdev PS, Narayan KMV, Cunningham S, Weber MB, Tripp K, Mapango C, Ramakrishnan U, Hennink M, Williams AM, 2020, The Co-Occurrence of Overweight and Micronutrient Deficiencies or Anemia among Women of Reproductive Age in Malawi, J Nutr, 150,
- Rhodes EC, Hennink M, Jefferds MED, Williams AM, Suchdev PS, Mapango C, Nyirenda E, Mshali G, Tripp K, 2019, Integrating micronutrient status assessment into the 2015-2016 Malawi Demographic and Health Survey: A qualitative evaluation, Matern Child Nutr, 15,
- Rhodes EC, Chandrasekar EK, Patel SA, Narayan KMV, Joshua TV, Williams LB, Marion L, Ali MK, 2018, Cost-effectiveness of a faith-based lifestyle intervention for diabetes prevention among African Americans: A within-trial analysis, Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 146,