APHI 552D Introduction to Public Health Data Manipulation Through Programming
I currently serve as the Senior Advisor for Informatics to CDC's Office of the Chief Information Officer where I work with data to make better technology investments to improve public health impact.
I joined CDC in 2012 as the Deputy Director of the Informatics Innovation Unit, where I helped design and coordinate a research portfolio, working with public health partners across CDC. In 2014, I joined the Office of Public Health Scientific Services as its Chief Public Health Informatics Officer. Before joining CDC, I worked as a consultant on multiple projects around the agency. I like building things so two of my favorites were serving as the lead architect for the Public Health Grid (phGrid) project that developed prototype software for distributed data analytics, novel visualization, and complex information security; and serving as the enterprise architect for the National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network that fused public health and environmental health data and information from multiple grantees and sources together to improve analytics and visualization capability.
I have over 25 years' experience in creating products out of digital technology in roles with titles like Programmer, Chief Technology Officer, Principal Architect, Senior Member of the Technical Staff, and Management Consultant within both startup and established organizations where I created very large database (VLDB) software; operational risk algorithms; and complex, high-transaction (2k/second) software systems.
I'm a passionate advocate for agile, collaborative, and transparent informatics practices because I believe they connect people and data to make it easier to integrate informatics with public health programs. I work with partners to carefully identify and design potential innovations; evaluate their impact for public health; and, if useful, connect and align to public health policy priorities.
F33E F88F BC60 DBB9 F7C9 9D3B 51EA 9CCC 2F24 9997
Areas of Interest
- Data Mining
- Data Science
- Disease Surveillance
- Public Health Informatics
- BBA 2006, Georgia State
- MPH 2014, Emory
- APHI 552D: Intro to PH Data Manipulation
Affiliations & Activities
Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) - Volunteer public health practicioner reviewer
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - Senior Member
- Lee, B., Martin, T., Khan, A., Fullerton, K., Duck, W., Kinley, T., ... & Richards, C. L. , 2018, Modernizing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Informatics Using Surveillance Data Platform Shared Services, Public Health Reports, ,
- Richards, CL, Iademarco, MI, Atkinson, D, Pinner RW, Yoon, P, Mac Kenzie, WR, Lee, B, Qualters, JR, Frieden, TR, 2017, Advances in Public Health Surveillance and Information Dissemination at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Reports, ,
- Wiltz JL, Blanck HM, Lee B, Kocot SL, Seeff L, McGuire LC, et al., 2017, Electronic Information Standards to Support Obesity Prevention and Bridge Services Across Systems, 2010–2015, Preventing Chronic Disease, ,
- Richards, CR, Lee, B, 2015, CDC Surveillance Strategy – A Strategy for Improving CDC Activities in Public Health Surveillance, Online Journal of Public Health Informatics, ,
- Savel, TG, Lee, B, Ledbetter, G, Brown, S, LaValley, D, Taylor, J, Thompson, P, 2013, PTT Advisor: A CDC-supported initiative to develop a mobile clinical laboratory decision support application for the iOS platform, Online Journal of Public Health Informatics, ,
- Boyd, T, Lee, B, Savel, T, Stinn, J, Kesarinath, G, 2011, An example of the use of Public Health Grid (PHGrid) technology during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, International Journal of Grid and Utility Computing, ,
- Savel, T, Hall, K, Lee, B, McMullin, V, Miles, M, Stinn, J, White, P, Washington, D, Boyd, T, Lenert, L, 2010, A Public Health Grid (PHGrid): Architecture and Value Proposition for 21st Century Public Health, International Journal of Medical Informatics, ,
- Boyd T, Savel T, Kesarinath G, Lee B, Stinn J, 2010, The Use of Public Health Grid Technology in the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention H1N1 Pandemic Response, IEEE 24th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshop, ,
- Savel T, Bronstein A, Duck W, Rhodes MB, Lee B, Stinn J, Worthen K, 2010, Using Secure Web Services to Visualize Poison Center Data for Nationwide Biosurveillance: A Case Study, Online Journal of Public Health Informatics, ,
- Lee B, 2007, On the Importance of Development-and-Build Environments, MSDN Skyscraper, ,