Dr. Alonso is the Stephen D. Clements Jr. Chair in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention. He earned his M.D. and Ph.D. in epidemiology at the University of Navarra, Spain, and later conducted postdoctoral research at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston supported by a Fulbright fellowship. He was faculty member at the School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, between 2007 and 2016, and joined the Rollins School of Public Health in 2016. Dr. Alonso's research interests lie in the epidemiology of cardiovascular and neurological diseases. His recent work has focused on the epidemiology of atrial fibrillation and other cardiac arrhythmias, and on the cardiovascular determinants of cognitive decline and dementia.
The All of Us Research Program. The All of Us Research Program, an NIH supported project, is a prospective cohort study aiming to recruit at least one million individuals in the United States, with the overall goal of providing a unique resource to study the effects of lifestyle, environment and genomics on health and health outcomes.
The Goizueta Alzheimer's Disease Research Center. The Goizueta ADRC facilitates research and education on Alzheimer's disease and other related forms of cognitive impairment.
The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. The ARIC study is a prospective epidemiologic study in four US communities designed to investigate the causes of atherosclerosis and its clinical outcomes. Within ARIC, Dr. Alonso is involved in studies focused on the epidemiology of atrial fibrillation and its complications, as well as in the ARIC Neurocognitive Study (ARIC-NCS), an ancillary study to ARIC aimed to understand the cardiovascular influeces to cognitive decline and dementia.
Comparative effectiveness of anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation. Using large administrative databases , Dr. Alonso and colleagues are studying the risk and benefits of different treatments used in patients with atrial fibrillation.
Cardiovascular disease epidemiology and prevention, Neuroepidemiology
1518 Clifton Road, NE
Atlanta , GA 30322
Areas of Interest
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Neurologic Conditions
- PhD 2005, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- MPH 2002, National School of Health, Madrid, Spain
- MD 2000, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- EPI 537: Epi Of Chronic Disease
- Alonso A, Alam AB, Kamel H, Subbian V, Qian J, Boerwinkle E, Cicek M, Clark CR, Cohn EG, Gebo KA, Loperena-Cortes R, Mayo KR, Mockrin S, Ohno-Machado L, Schully SD, Ramirez AH, Greenland P, 2022, Epidemiology of atrial fibrillation in the All of Us Research Program, PLoS One, 17, e0265498
- Ghelani KP, Chen LY, Norby FL, Soliman EZ, Koton S, Alonso A, 2022, Thirty-year trends in the incidence of atrial fibrillation: the ARIC study, J Am Heart Assoc, 11, e023583
- Li L, Selvin E, Hoogeveen RC, Soliman EZ, Chen LY, Norby FL, Alonso A, 2021, 6-year change in high sensitivity cardiac troponin T and the risk of atrial fibrillation in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities cohort, Clin Cardiol, ,
- Shao IY, Claxton JS, Lutsey PL, Chen LY, MacLehose RF, Alonso A, 2021, Association of type of antidepressant initiation with bleeding risk in atrial fibrillation patients taking oral anticoagulants, Drug Real World Outcomes, ,
- Subramanya V, Claxton JS, Lutsey PL, MacLehose RF, Chen LY, Chamberlain AM, Norby FL, Alonso A, 2021, Sex differences in treatment strategy and adverse outcomes among patients 75 and older with atrial fibrillation in the MarketScan database, BMC Cardiovasc Disord, 21, 598
- Hodis JD, Gottesman RF, Windham BG, Knopman DS, Lutsey PL, Walker KA, Alonso A, 2020, Association of hypertension according to new ACC/AHA blood pressure guidelines with incident dementia in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities cohort, J Am Heart Assoc, 9, e017546
- Alam AB, Lutsey PL, Gottesman RF, Tin A, Alonso A, 2020, Low serum magnesium is associated with incident dementia in the ARIC-NCS cohort, Nutrients, 12, 3074
- Chen N, Alam AB, Lutsey PL, MacLehose RF, Claxton JS, Chen LY, Chamberlain AM, Alonso A, 2020, Polypharmacy, adverse outcomes and treatment effectiveness in patients ?75 with atrial fibrillation, J Am Heart Assoc, 9, e015089
- Alonso A, Yu B, Sun YV, Chen LY, Loehr LR, O'Neal WT, Soliman EZ, Boerwinkle E, 2019, Serum metabolomics and incidence of atrial fibrillation (from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study), Am J Cardiol, ,
- Chen N, Lutsey PL, MacLehose RF, Claxton JS, Norby FL, Chamberlain AM, Bengtson LGS, O'Neal WT, Chen LY, Alonso A, 2018, Association of oral anticoagulant type with risk of dementia among patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation., J Am Heart Assoc, 7, e009561
- Mou L, Norby FL, Chen LY, O'Neal WT, Lewis TT, Loehr LR, Soliman EZ, Alonso A, 2018, Lifetime risk of atrial fibrillation by race and socioeconomic status: ARIC Study (Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities), Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol, 11, e006350