The BSHES MPH Program Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) working group is comprised of faculty, students and staff. We are implementing faculty and student training focused on antiracism and cultural humility, increased mentorship aimed at building equity and an inclusive community, a film series focused on racial equity topics, new coursework with an emphasis on antiracism in response to student requests and concerns, and developing and implementing a yearly EDI assessment to identify how we are doing on improving EDI based on targets identified by students.
The BSHES EDI Film Series is designed to build culture of antiracism and cultural humility and to create an equitable and inclusive community through films and discussions focused on equity topics. BSHES Adjunct Instructor Dr. Venice Haynes and BSHES MPH Alum Chelsea Douglas curated and designed the inaugural 2020-21 Film Series.
BSHES EDI 2020-21 Film Series
Arbre’ya Lewis (BSHES MPH 2nd year student) and Rachel Corbett (BSHES ADAP) worked diligently to build a collaborative mentoring program between MPH 2nd year students (P2) and 1st year students (P1). This new mentoring program is an effort by the BSHES department to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for students as a response to prior concerns about a disconnect between MPH cohorts. P2P opened with a mentor training and mentee info-session in August, which incorporated conversations about cultural competence and defined the peer mentorship roles (37 P2’s and 51 P1’s). The program commits to hosting at least 1 social event to be attended by P1/P2 pairs. In October, P2P hosted a Self-Awareness workshop to encourage self-reflection and personal development. P2P conducts monthly evaluations about student experiences with the program and welcomes feedback.
The P2P Program organized a series of Alumni Networking Seminars in February and March 2021.
- Dawn Comeau, PhD, Co-Chair (BSHES Faculty, MPH Director)
- Briana Woods-Jaeger, PhD, Co-Chair (BSHES Faculty, Health Equity course Professor)
- Enmanuel Chavarria, PhD (BSHES Faculty)
- Rachel Corbett (BSHES Staff)
- Natalie Crawford, PhD (BSHES faculty)
- Melanie Dakwa, Peer to Peer Program Graduate Assistant (BSHES 2nd Year Student)
- Chelsea Douglas (BSHES MPH Alum)
- Yesnely Flores (BSHES 2nd Year Student)
- Arnelle Konde, Peer to Peer Program Graduate Assistant (BSHES 2nd Year Student)
- Ashley Mastin (BSHES Administrative Staff)
- My Nguyen, EDI Working Group Graduate Research Assis (BSHES 2nd Year Student)
- Tiffaney Renfro (BSHES Research Staff)
- Jessica Sales, PhD (BSHES faculty, PhD Director)
- Terri Wright, PhD (BSHES Adjunct Faculty)