Phase I (1982-1990): Investigation of outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases (e.g., diphtheria, pertussis, polio, measles) in US and abroad. Established protective correlate of immunity for measles.
Phase II (1988-2005): Modernized vaccine safety infrastructure in the U.S. and elsewhere (e.g., Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System [VAERS], Vaccine Safety Datalink [VSD] Project, Clinical Immunization Safety Assessment [CISA] Centers, the Brighton Collaboration, and the Safe Injection Global Network [SIGN]) and using it for rigorous studies of vaccine safety (e.g., rotavirus vaccine and intussusception, thimerosal/MMR and autism).
Phase III (2005 +) : Preventing medical transmission of HIV via unsafe injections or blood transfusions and develop new safe and effective HIV prevention biomedical interventions via clinical trials in settings with high HIV incidence.
Areas of Interest
- HIV/AIDS Prevention
- Infectious Disease
- MD 1982, University of Chicago
- MA Public Policy 1980, Univeristy of Chicago
- BS Honors Biology, Chemistry 1977, University of Illinois, Urbana
- Hankins CA, Glasser JW, Chen RT. , 2011, Modeling the impact of RV144-like vaccines on HIV transmission (commentary), Vaccine, 29, 6069-71
- Chen RT, Hu DJ, Dunne E, Shaw M, Mullins J, Rerks-Ngarm S. , 2011, Preparing for the availability of a partially effective HIV vaccine: some lessons from other licensed vaccines., Vaccine, 29, 6072-8.
- Kramarz, P., France, E.K., Black, S.B., Shinefield, H., Ward, J.I., Chang, E., Destefano, F., Chen, R.T., et al., 2001, Population Based Study of Rotavirus Vaccination and Intussusception, Ped Infect Dis J, 20, 410-416
- Chen, R.T., DeStefano, F., Davis, R.L., Jackson, L.A., Thompson, R.S., Mullooly, J.P., Black, S.B., Shinefield, H.R., Vadheim, C.M., Ward, J.I., Marcy, S.M., & the Vaccine Safety Datalink Team. , 2000, The Vaccine Safety Datalink: immunization research in health maintenance organizations in the USA, Bull WHO , 78, 186-194
- Chen, R.T., Rastogi, S.C., Mullen, J.R., Hayes, S., Cochi, S.L., Donlon, J.A., & Wassilak, S.G. , 1994, The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), Vaccine, 12, 542-550