Faculty, Health Policy and Management
Dr. Graetz is an Associate Professor of Health Policy and Management at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University. Her research leverages health information technology to better understand how care is delivered and to improve patient outcomes. As principal investigator and co-investigator on several federally and institutionally funded studies, her research spans multiple aspects of health information technology, including data analytics, the role of electronic health records in care quality and coordination, and the design of app-based interventions to improve patient-provider communication, treatment adherence, and outcomes.
Dr. Graetz is the principal investigator of two studies funded by the National Cancer Institute aimed at improving outcomes and reducing racial disparities in treatment and outcomes for women with breast cancer. The first one combines patient reported outcome data with Medicare and Medicaid claims to study racial disparities in breast cancer outcomes in the Mid-South region. The second study is a five-year randomized clinical trial of a web-based app intervention that aims to improve medication adherence, patient-provider communication, and quality of life for women with breast cancer.
Dr. Graetz completed a doctorate in Health Services and Policy Analyses with an emphasis on organizational theory at the University of California, Berkeley.
For a full list of publications, please visit PubMed.
1518 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta , GA 30322
Fax: (404) 727-9198
Areas of Interest
- Health Communication
- Health Disparities
- Health Policy
- Information Technology
- PhD 2012, University of California at Berkeley
- BA 2002, University of California at Berkeley
- HPM 552: Health Information Technology
- Graetz I, Yarbrough CR, Hu X, Howard DH., 2020, Association of Mandatory-Access Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs With Opioid Prescriptions Among Medicare Patients Treated by a Medical or Hematologic Oncologist., JAMA Oncology, ,
- Graetz I, Huang J, Muelly ER, Fireman B, Hsu J, Reed ME., 2020, Association of Mobile Patient Portal Access With Diabetes Medication Adherence and Glycemic Levels Among Adults With Diabetes, JAMA Network Open, 3,
- Paladino AJ, Anderson JN, Graff C, Krukowski RA, Blue R, Jones T, Buzaglo J, Kocak M, Vidal G, Graetz I, 2019, A qualitative exploration of race-based differences in social support needs of diverse women with breast cancer on adjuvant therapy, Psycho-Oncology, ,
- Graetz I, Huang J, Hsu J, Brand R, Yamin CK, Reed ME, 2018, Bridging the Digital Divide: Mobile Access to Patient Portals among Patients with Diabetes, American Journal of Managed Care, 24, 294-299
- Graetz I, Huang J, Brand R, Hsu J, Reed ME , 2018, Mobile-Accessible Personal Health Records Increases the Frequency and Timeliness of PHR Use for Patients with Diabetes, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association., 26, 50-54
- Graetz I, McKillop CM, Stepanski E, Vidal G, Anderson J, Schwartzberg LS, 2018, Use of a web-based app to improve breast cancer symptom management and adherence for aromatase inhibitors: a randomized controlled feasibility trial, Journal of Cancer Survivorship, ,
- Graetz I, Gordon N, Fung V, Hamity CL, Reed ME, 2016, The Digital Divide and Patient Portals: Internet Access Explained Differences in Patient Portal Use for Secure Messaging by Age, Race, and Income, Medical Care, ,
- Graetz I, Huang J, Brand R, Shortell S, Rundall T, Bellows J, Hsu J, Jaffe M, Reed M, 2015, The Impact of Electronic Health Records and Teamwork on Diabetes Care Quality, American Journal of Managed Care, 21, 878-884
- Graetz I, Reed M, Shortell S, Rundall T, Bellows J, Hsu J, 2014, The Association between EHRs and Care Coordination Varies by Team Cohesion, Health Services Research, ,
- Graetz I, Reed M, Shortell SM, Rundall TG, Bellows J, Hsu J, 2014, The next step towards making use meaningful: electronic information exchange and care coordination across clinicians and delivery sites, Medical Care, ,
- Graetz I, Kaplan CM, Kaplan EK, Bailey JE, Waters TM, 2014, The U.S. Health Insurance Marketplace: Are Premiums Truly Affordable?, Annals of Internal Medicine, ,
- Reed M, Huang J, Brand R, Graetz I, Neugebauer R, Fireman B, Jaffe M, Ballard D, Hsu J, 2013, Implementation of an Outpatient Electronic Health Record and Emergency Department Visits, Hospitalizations, and Office Visits Among Patients with Diabetes, JAMA, ,