Information for International Applicants

Ranked 22nd in the nation and 1st in Georgia among 352 American universities by QS World University Rankings, Emory University and our Rollins School of Public Health, which is ranked #4 among schools and programs of public health in the United States, leads as a global community and we are glad you are considering being a part of it! Before you immerse yourself in the application process, there are a few additional application details and requirements that you should know about. 

International students are invited to have a completed and verified SOPHAS application by the January 5th priority deadline to be considered for merit scholarships, which include full-tuition opportunities. These scholarships are competitive and range from full-tuition opportunities to smaller grants.

All students, including international students, are eligible to participate in our signature REAL program. Admitted international students will receive a link to our international REAL application. REAL is offered on a first-come, first-served, basis. Students are encouraged to apply for admission early in order to receive the link to the REAL application once admitted.

We strongly encourage international applicants to submit their SOPHAS application no later than May 1 to guarantee your application will be reviewed for admission for the upcoming fall semester. International applicants may still expect their applications to be reviewed after May 1, however a recommendation of deferment to the following fall semester may be made.

Rollins requires international students whose native language is not English to take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Your test scores may not be more than two years old.

If you take the TOEFL, you will need to request that the testing service send your scores to SOPHAS using the reporting code 5688. 

If you take the IELTS, you will need to request that the testing service send your scores directly to Rollins. SOPHAS does not accept IELTS score reports, thus there is no IELTS institution code for SOPHAS). While thereis a portion on the SOPHAS application that allows you to manually enter in your IELTS scores, those scores are considered unofficial until we receive your score report from the testing service.

The minimum scores required for TOEFL is 550 (paper); 213 (CBT); 79-80 (iBT) and IELTS score of 6-Overall.

If you were born internationally but are a permanent resident of the United States or have completed a degree at a U.S. institution, you don't need to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.

Students who are citizens of the following English-speaking countries are also exempt from sending TOEFL or IELTS scores: Australia, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

If you are requesting transcripts from colleges outside of the United States, make sure you complete your application through SOPHAS and request your transcript well in advance of the application deadline. We recommend requesting your transcript at least a month in advance). We suggest doing your SOPHAS application first, so you already have your 11-digit SOPHAS ID when ordering your evaluation through the World Education Services (WES).

Order your evaluation using this form.

International transcripts, (including French Canadian transcripts), must be submitted to WES, which evaluates your academic record before sending everything forward to SOPHAS. When completing your WES profile, be sure to select the WES International Credential Package, which includes a course-by-course evaluation. While French Canadian transcripts have to be submitted through WES, English Canadian transcripts can be sent directly to SOPHAS from your post-secondary institution.

If you're still enrolled in a post-secondary program outside of the U.S. at the time of the WES evaluation, you will need to submit a final WES evaluation after you have graduated (proving you earned your degree). This applies to anyone who has obtained a degree outside of the U.S. So, if you live in the United States now, but received your academic training outside of the country, you'll need to adhere to all requirements outlined for international students.

All applicants to Rollins must have (at a minimum) the equivalent of a U.S. four-year bachelor's degree.

Note: This WES requirement does not apply to U.S. students who have enrolled in study-abroad programs.

Our Community

26% international students, 55 languages spoken, from 25 countries

International students at Rollins are part of a diverse community of learners. Students are encouraged to share their perspectives and unique lived experiences. This rich exchange of ideas, knowledge, and culture helps to enrich class discussions and furthers our knowledge of communities around the world.

Emory University and the Rollins School of Public Health offer a vast variety of resources to help support international students as they transition to our community and while they are enrolled. Emory’s International Students and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) offers a variety of programs designed to offer community and support to international students—programs aimed at academic success, and resources to help guide your student visa application. Once students accept their offer of admission to Rollins, they are assigned an ISSS advisor to help guide them through the VISA process. All student VISA requests are processed through the ISSS office. In order to complete the I-20 VISA process, international students are required to confirm their enrollment and submit a financial certificate form documenting sufficient funds for one year of studying and living in the United States. Additional information and questions can be directed to the International Students and Scholar Services Office.

The Rollins community also offers a variety of support resources for our international students, including the Academic Resource Center, student organizations, and the Office of Career Development.


Admitted International Students

Once you are admitted to Rollins, our office will send you an email with detailed instructions about logging into the Admitted Student Portal. This site will provide information about orientation, housing, and transitioning to Rollins. The ISSS office will provide resources and information to support students initiating or transferring a student visa.

Financial Certificate

Rollins requires that all admitted international students provide documentation no later than June 15 (including I-20 documents) verifying that they have the funds to pay for tuition and estimated living expenses for one year*. We strongly encourage students to submit their I-20 documents prior to the June 15 target date. Emory will not initiate the visa process until all of your financial documentation is in. So, once you confirm your enrollment, filling out the financial certificate form on the Admitted Student Portal is your first priority. *This is not required for students enrolling in the Executive MPH Program.

Funding Resources for International Students

Bringing Family

If you plan on bringing a family member with you, you will need to confirm that you have the funds to accommodate them, too. Make sure you study the financial certificate instructions for the specifics. Likewise, if you are bringing dependents with you while you're in school, you'll need to complete the I-20 dependent processing section of your financial certificate form. A dependent I-20 will then be created for them to accompany you to the U.S.

Attending Rollins on a Scholarship, Fellowship, or a sponsoring agency

If you are attending Rollins on scholarship, fellowship, or a sponsoring agency, you will need to forward the financial certificate form to these sponsoring agencies to complete on your behalf.

For students on a partial scholarship or sponsorship, please follow the steps listed in the financial certificate instructions.

Note: Actual expenditure may vary depending on the sources of funding as well as individual standards of living.

Helpful Tips

  • All paperwork should be filled out in English.
  • All documents should be originals.
  • Scan a copy of your passport to use when requesting your I-20. You won't be able to get your I-20 without it.
  • Concerned you're missing something? Email us at