Renuka Kapoor, PhD, MPH is Research Assistant Professor in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins School of Public Health. Dr. Kapoor is trained in microbiology, and received her PhD from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, where she worked on antimicrobial resistance in Salmonella Typhi and its association with clinical outcome in typhoid patients. During her postdoctoral training at the University of Cincinnati, Dr. Kapoor worked in the area of applied and environmental microbiology and developed molecular diagnostics for detection of respiratory pathogens prevalent in occupational settings. Dr. Kapoor received her Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology at Rollins School of Public Health.
Dr. Kapoor’s current research is focused on detection and persistence of Salmonella Typhi in the environment, assessment of risk of exposure to S. Typhi in the environment, and environmental surveillance of typhoid. Additionally, she is involved in development of studies on association between water, sanitation and hygiene issues in healthcare facilities and maternal and neonatal outcomes.
Areas of Interest
- Antibiotic Resistance
- Infectious Disease
- Maternal and Child Health
- Kapoor R, Kancherla V, Cao Y, Oleson J, Suhl J, Canfield MA, Druschel CM, Kirby RS, Meyer RE, Romitti PA , 2018, Prevalence and descriptive epidemiology of infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis in the United States: A multistate, population-based retrospective study, 1999-2010., Birth Defects Research , 111, 159-169
- Kapoor R, Selvaraju SB, Yadav JS , 2014, Extended tracking of the microbial community structure and dynamics in an industrial synthetic metalworking fluid., FEMS Microbiology Ecology , 87, 664-677
- Kapoor R, Yadav JS , 2012, Expanding mycobacterial diversity in metalworking fluids: evidence for occurrence of Mycobacterium abscessus. , Expanding mycobacterial diversity in metalworking fluids: evidence for occurrence of Mycobacterium abscessus, 79, 392-399
- Kapoor R, Yadav JS , 2010, Development of a rapid ATP bioluminescence assay for biocidal susceptibility testing of rapidly growing mycobacteria., Journal of Clinical Microbiology , 48, 3725-3728
- Kapoor R, Yadav JS , 2009, Development of a species-specific colorimetric-PCR assay for detection and species differentiation of Mycobacterium immunogenum and Mycobacterium chelonae and its comparison with real- time quantitative PCR for field metalworking fluids., Molecular and Cellular Probes , 23, 75-82.
- Vashist J, Vishvanath, Kapoor R, Kapil A, Yennamalli R, Subbarao N, Rajeswari MR, 2009, Interaction of nalidixic acid and ciprofloxacin with wild type and mutated quinolone-resistance-determining region of DNA gyrase A. , Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics , 46, 147-153
- Kadhiravan T, Wig N, Renuka K, Kapil A, Kabra SK, Misra A , 2008, Is nalidixic acid resistance linked to clinical virulence in Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi infections?, Journal of Medical Microbiology , 57, 1046-1048
- Selvaraju SB, Kapoor R, Yadav JS , 2008, Peptide nucleic acid –Fluorescent in situ hybridization (PNA-FISH) assay for specific detection of Mycobacterium immunogenum and DNA FISH assay for analysis of Pseudomonads in metalworking fluids and sputum, Molecular and Cellular Probes , 22, 273-280.
- Mohanty S, Renuka K, Sood S, Das BK, Kapil A , 2006, Antibiogram pattern and seasonality of Salmonella serotypes in a North Indian tertiary care hospital. , Epidemiology and Infection , 14, 1-6.
- Kadhiravan T, Wig N, Kapil A, Kabra SK, Renuka K, Misra A , 2005, Clinical outcomes in typhoid fever: adverse impact of infection with nalidixic acid-resistant Salmonella typhi. , BMC Infectious Diseases , 5, 37.
- Renuka K, Sood S, Das BK, Kapil A , 2005, High-level ciprofloxacin resistance in Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi in India, Journal of Medical Microbiology , 54, 999-1000
- Renuka K, Kapil A, Kabra SK, Wig N, Das BK, Prasad VV, Chaudhry R, Seth P. , 2004, Reduced susceptibility to ciprofloxacin and gyrA gene mutation in North Indian strains of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi and serotype Paratyphi A. , Microbial Drug Resistance , 10, 146-153.
- Mathur P, Renuka, Simpson L , 2003, Pleural effusion in complicated Salmonella paratyphi A infection., Indian Pediatrics. , 40, 252-254
- Kapil A, Renuka, Das B , 2002, Nalidixic acid susceptibility test to screen ciprofloxacin resistance in Salmonella typhi., Indian Journal of Medical Research , 115, 49-54.