Dr. Kristin Bratton Nelson is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology. Her overarching research interest is in the epidemiology and prevention of respiratory infections, primarily tuberculosis and more recently COVID-19. Dr. Nelson's research program integrates dynamic modeling, causal inference methods, and pathogen genomics to characterize patterns of disease transmission and understand the impact of interventions, including new vaccines, on morbidity and mortality from infectious disease. The ultimate goal of her research is to reduce the global burden of respiratory infections, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
Visit the Nelson Research Group website for more information.
Areas of Interest
- Causal Inference
- Global Health
- Infectious Disease
- Infectious Disease Dynamics
- BS 2008, University of Arizona
- MPH 2012, Emory University
- PhD 2018, Emory University
- Lau M, Grenfell B, Nelson KN, Lopman BA, 2020, Characterizing super-spreading events and age-specific infectivity of COVID-19 transmission in Georgia, USA, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, ,
- Nelson KN, Binney ZO, Chamberlain AT, 2020, Excess Pneumonia Mortality During a Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreak in Flint, Michigan, Epidemiology, ,
- Nelson KN, Gandhi NR, Mathema B, Lopman BA, Brust JCM, Auld SC, Ismail N, Omar SV, Brown TS, Allana S, Campbell A, Moodley P, Mlisana K, Shah NS, Jenness SM., 2020, Modeling missing cases and transmission links in networks of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. , American Journal of Epidemiology, 189, 735-745
- Nelson KN, Jenness SM, Mathema B, Lopman BA, Auld SC, Shah NS, Brust JCM, Ismail N, Omar SV, Brown TS, Allana S, Campbell A, Moodley P, Mlisana K, Gandhi NR, 2020, Social mixing and clinical features linked with transmission in a network of extensively drug-resistant (XDR) tuberculosis cases in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, Clinical Infectious Diseases, 70, 2396-2402
- Brown TS, Challagundla L, Baugh EH, Omar SV, Mustaev A, Auld SC, Shah NS, Kreiswirth BN, Brust JCM, Nelson KN, Narechania A, Kurepina N, Mlisana K, Bonneau R, Eldholm V, Ismail N, Kolokotronis SO, Robinson DA, Gandhi NR, Mathema B, 2019, Pre-detection history of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, ,
- Nelson KN, Shah NS, Mathema B, Ismail N, Brust JCM, Brown TS, Auld SC, Omar SV, Morris N, Campbell A, Allana S, Moodley P, Mlisana K, Gandhi NR., 2018, Spatial patterns of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-tuberculosis) transmission in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, Journal of Infectious Diseases, ,