Please help improve Faculty Profile solution by taking a quick Survey
Ruth and O.C. Hubert Chair in Global Health
For details of publications and profiles:
K.M. Venkat Narayan, MD, MSc, MBA, FRCP. Is a member of the US National Academy of Medicine (NAM) and is currently Ruth and O.C. Hubert Chair of Global Health; Director, Emory Global Diabetes Research Center; Director, Georgia Center for Diabetes Translation Research, and Professor of Medicine & Epidemiology at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
A polymath, noted for substantial, multidisciplinary work in diabetes clinical and public health sciences, with nearly 500 publications, including several seminal and high-impact studies (over 177,000 citations, H-index >150), and two books, his work exemplifies his leadership in diabetes research and public health. Prior to his time at Emory, Dr. Narayan spent 10 years at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, leading science efforts in his role as chief of the Diabetes Epidemiology and Statistics Branch. He was an intramural researcher at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
His research has focused on the epidemiology of type 2 diabetes, and on large national and international observational and intervention studies to prevent and control the disease, and to translate science into practice and policy. He is currently also exploring intriguing differences in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes in South Asian and other developing countries’ populations globally.
Narayan won the American Diabetes Association’s Kelly West Award for outstanding achievement in epidemiology. He is Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health Medicine, UK, Fellow of the American College of Physicians, and Fellow of the American Heart Association. He won the Emory University’s Mentor of the Year, the Marion Creekmore award for internationalization, the Danish Diabetes Academy Visiting Professorship at University of Copenhagen, South Asian Health Foundation Lifetime achievement award, and the Nehru Chair at University of Hyderabad.
Areas of Interest
- Global Health
- Obesity Prevention
- Narayan KM, Ali MK, del Rio C, Koplan JP, Curran J, 2011, Global noncommunicable diseases - Lessons from the HIV-AIDS experience, N Eng J Med, 365, 876-8
- Narayan KM, Ali MK, Koplan JP, 2010, Global noncommunicable diseases - where worlds meet, N Eng J Med, 363, 1196-8
- K. M. Venkat Narayan, 2008, No matter what language you speak, DIABETES is a global problem, , ,
- Saaddine, J.B., Cadwell, B., Engelgau, M.M., Vinicor, F., Gregg, E.W., Imperatore, G., & Narayan. K.M. , 2006, Improvements in processes and intermediate outcomes of diabetes care, United States 1990-2000, Ann Intern Med , 144, 465-474
- Narayan, K.M., Benjamin, E., Gregg, E.W., Norris, S.L., & Engelgau, M.M., 2004, Diabetes translation research: Where are we and where do we want to be? , Ann Int Med , 140, 958-963
- Narayan, K.M., Boyle, J.P., Thompson, T.J., Sorensen, S.E., & Williamson, D.F. , 2003, Lifetime risk of diabetes mellitus in the United States, JAMA, 290, 1884-1890