Juan currently works as Head, Global Initiatives, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, and has served senior-level positions at the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva since he joined in July 2008.
He has led, co-led and contributed to the development of over 50 WHO evidence-informed global norms and standards and supports their implementation through people-centred integrated care in primary health care. He also has authored over 100 publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
He currently leads the WHO normative work on the integrated management of children and adolescents with obesity, using a primary health care approach. Global initiatives include health promotion, prevention and treatment of conditions requiring integrative health actions throughout the life course and reduction of risk factors and other social and economic determinants of health for greater impact at country level, particularly improving human capital and wellbeing, with coordination and involvement with multiple sectors.
In 2019, he led a multidisciplinary agile team on nutrition in primary health care settings for universal health coverage.
Dr Peña-Rosas is Professor (Adjunct) at Rollins School of Global Health, Emory University in Atlanta, USA since 2011 and Professor (Adjunct) in the Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA since October 2017. He established the annual WHO/Cochrane/Cornell summer institute for systematic reviews in nutrition for global policy-making in collaboration with leaders in these organizations since 2014 and is a founder member of Cochrane Nutrition.
Prior to WHO, JP worked as a Specialist at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, USA and was involved in planning, implementing, and reporting of health and nutrition surveIllance systems to inform policy.
In the private sector, Juan Pablo worked for Kellogg company, leading nutrition and food scientific and regulatory affairs at the regional level in the Latin America Headquarters based in Mexico and serving eight country subsidiaries.
JP is a Venezuelan medical epidemiologist, scientist and diplomat who received his Medical Degree from Universidad Central de Venezuela and a MSc in Public Health Nutrition from University of Puerto Rico. He holds a PhD in Epidemiology and Human Nutrition from Cornell University, USA. He is married to Heber Gomez Malave (he, him, his), a musician, writer, medical doctor, sociologist and philanthropist. They live in Geneva.
Specialties: public health, global policy, evidence- guideline development methods, maternal and child health, nutrition, monitoring and evaluation, epidemiology, research
Areas of Interest
- Global Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Public Health Policy
- Research Methods
- PhD 1997, Cornell University
- MPH 1993, University of Puerto Rico
- MD 1991, University Central of Venezuela
- United Nations System Executive Management 2018, United Nations System Staff College
Affiliations & Activities
Cochrane US Network, affiliate board member, 2019-present
The Society for Implementation Science in Nutrition, Founding member, 2015-present
Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE) Working Group, member, 2011-present
Latin American Society of Nutrition (SLAN), active member, 1991-present
American Society of Nutrition, active member, 1993-present
Venezuelan Federation of Medicine, licensed physician, 1991-present
UNGLOBE - United Nations Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender organization (LGBTQI+) - 2008-present
- Palacios C, Cormick G, Hofmeyr GJ, Garcia-Casal MN, Peña-Rosas JP, Betrán AP, 2020, Calcium-fortified foods in public health programs: considerations for implementation, Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, ,
- Palacios C, Hofmeyr GJ, Cormick G, Garcia?Casal MN, Peña-Rosas JP, Betrán AP, 2020, Current calcium fortification experiences: a review, Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, ,
- Thorson AE, Foeller M, Rayco-Solon P, Prinzo ZW, Souza JP, Peña-Rosas JP, 2020, Ebola virus disease and breastfeeding, Lancet, 395, 491
- Medina-Rivera M, Centeno-Tablante E, Finkelstein JL, Rayco-Solon P, Peña-Rosas JP, Garcia-Casal MN, Rogers L, Ridwan P, Martinez SS, Andrade J, Layden AJ, Chang J, Zambrano MP Ghezzi-Kopel, K, Mehta S , 2020, Presence of Ebola virus in breast milk and risk of mother-to-child transmission: synthesis of evidence, Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, ,
- Cormick G, Betrán AP, Metz F, Palacios C, Beltrán-Velazquez F, García-Casal MN, Peña-Rosas JP, Hofmeyr GJ, Belizán JM, 2020, Regulatory and policy-related aspects of calcium fortification of foods. Implications for implementing national strategies of calcium fortification, Nutrients, 12, 1022
- Centeno-Tablante E, Medina-Rivera M, Finkelstein JL, Rayco-Solon P, Garcia-Casal MN, Rogers L, Ghezzi-Kopel K, Ridwan P, Peña-Rosas JP, Mehta S, 2020, Transmission of SARS?CoV?2 through breast milk and breastfeeding: a living systematic review, Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, ,
- Field MS, Mithra P, Estevez D, Peña-Rosas JP, 2020, Wheat flour fortification with iron for reducing anaemia and improving iron status in populations, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews , 7,
- Tuncalp Ö, Rogers LM, Lawrie TA, Barreix M, Peña-Rosas JP, Bucagu M, Neilson J, Oladapo OT, 2020, WHO recommendations on antenatal nutrition: an update on multiple micronutrient supplements, BMJ Global Health, 5,
- Peña-Rosas JP, Mithra P, Unnikrishnan B, Kumar N, De-Regil LM, Nair NS, Garcia-Casal MN, Solon JA, 2019, Fortification of rice with vitamins and minerals for addressing micronutrient malnutrition, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, ,
- García-Casal MN, Peña-Rosas JP, Gomez Malavé H, 2016, Sauces, spices, and condiments: definitions, potential benefits, consumption patterns, and global markets, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, ,
- Garcia-Casal MN, Peña-Rosas JP, Pachón H, De-Regil LM, Centeno Tablante E, Flores-Urrutia MC, 2016, Staple crops biofortified with increased micronutrient content: effects on vitamin and mineral status, as well as health and cognitive function in the general population, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, ,