Cari Jo Clark, Sc.D., M.P.H. is Associate Professor in the Hubert Department of Global Health at the Rollins School of Public Health. Dr. Clark has training in anthropology from the University of Kansas, where she received the Betty Wahlstedt Award for Academic Excellence in the Liberal Arts and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. Dr. Clark received her Master of Public Health and Doctorate of Science with a global health emphasis at Yale and Harvard, respectively. While at Harvard School of Public Health, Dr. Clark received a U.S. Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies Grant and completed her dissertation research in Jordan as a Fulbright Recipient.
Dr. Clark's research is focused on the health effects of exposure to child maltreatment and intimate partner violence, the measurement of violence and its associated norms, and the design and evaluation of primary and secondary prevention strategies. Dr. Clark has recently completed a project on a Jordanian university campus to measure sexual harassment as well as an examination of norms and behavior change diffusion as a follow-up to a randomized trial of a social and behavior change intervention designed to prevent intimate partner violence in Nepal. She is currently involved in three ongoing evaluations in Nepal to investigate the impact of a social norms and community engagement intervention on child marriage; the impact of an education intervention on girls’ capability development and school retention; and the impact of a social norms and justice focused intervention on women’s help-seeking for IPV and other forms of gender-based violence (GBV). She has published 82 manuscripts, book chapters, and working papers, which have appeared in journals such as The Lancet, Pediatrics, and Social Science and Medicine.
- Renner, LM, *Spencer RA, *Morrissette J, #Lewis-Dmello A, #Michel H, #Anders D, Clark CJ. Implications of Severe Polyvictimization for Cardiovascular Disease Risk among Female Survivors of Violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 2021; 36 (1-2): 491-507. PMID: 29294902 DOI: 10.1177/0886260517728688.
- *Jackson EC, Renner LM, *Flowers NI, Logeais ME, Clark CJ. Process evaluation of a systemic intervention to identify and support partner violence survivors in a large multi-specialty health system. BMC Health Services Research, 2020; 20 Article number: 996; DOI:10.1186/s12913-020-05809-y
- *Francis S,# Shrestha PN, #Shrestha B, #Ferguson G,* Batayeh B, Hennink M, Clark CJ. The Influence of Organized Diffusion on Social Norms Change: Addressing Intimate Partner Violence in Nepal, Global Public Health, 2020. DOI: 10.1080/17441692.2020.1845767
- *Kalk T, #Shrestha B, #Shrestha PN, #Ferguson G, *Bergenfeld I, *Robbin Z, Clark CJ. A qualitative examination of alcohol use and IPV among Nepali couples in a violence prevention intervention, Global Public Health, 2020; DOI: 10.1080/17441692.2020.1833959
- Clark CJ, Renner LM, Logeais ME. Intimate Partner Violence Screening and Referral Practices in an Outpatient Care Setting, Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 2020; 35(23-24): 5877-5888. PMID: 29294868 DOI:10.1177/0886260517724253
- Clark CJ, *Batayeh B, #Shrestha PN, *Morrow GL, #Shrestha B, #Ferguson G. Diffusion in social norms change about violence against women: a longitudinal analysis of intervention data from a cluster randomized trial, Global Public Health, 2020; Oct 6;1-13. DOI:10.1080/17441692.2020.1828984
- *Nguyen-Feng VN, Hodgdon H, Emerson D, Silverberg R, Clark CJ. Moderators of treatment efficacy in a randomized controlled trial of trauma-sensitive yoga as an adjunctive treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy (APA Journal, Division 56): Complementary Medicine and Integrative Approaches to Trauma Therapy and Recovery, 2020, Vol. 12, No. 8, 836–846. DOI: 10.1037/tra0000963
- *Nwokolo CA, #Shrestha PN, #Ferguson G, #Shrestha B, Clark CJ. Contextual attributes of the family and community that encourage or hinder the practice of intimate partner violence in Nepal. South Asian Journal of Law, Policy, and Social Research, 2020; 1(1) 40 pages.
- Yount KM, Lewis PC, Clark CJ, Heise L, Naved RT, Maxwell K. Development and Validation of the LoVI: The Laws on Violence against Women and Girls Index, BMC International Health and Human Rights, (2020) 20:13. DOI:10.1186/s12914-020-00233-z
- Clark CJ, #Shrestha B, #Ferguson G, #Shrestha PN, Calvert C, Gupta J, *Batayeh B, *Bergenfeld I, Oakes JM. Impact of the Change Starts at Home Trial on Women’s Experience of Intimate Partner Violence in Nepal, Social Science and Medicine-Population Health, 10 (2020) 100530. PMID:31890850 PMC6928358 DOI:10.1016/j.ssmph.2019.100530
- Yount KM, Cheong YF, Miedema S, *Chen JS, Menstell E, Maxwell L, Ramakrishnan U, Clark CJ, Rochat R, del Rio C. Gender equality in global health leadership: cross-sectional survey of global health graduates, Global Public Health, 2019 Dec 23:1-13. PMID:31869280 DOI:10.1080/17441692.2019.1701057
- 12.Stern E, *McGhee S, #Ferguson G, Clark CJ. A comparative case study of couples programming to support relationship quality in Nepal and Rwanda, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 2019: 1-21. DOI:10.1177/0265407519867466
- *Nguyen-Feng, VN, Clark CJ, Butler ME. Yoga as an intervention for psychological symptoms following trauma: A systematic review and quantitative synthesis. Psychological Services. 2019 Aug;16(3):513-523. PMID:29620390 DOI: 10.1037/ser0000191
- *McGhee S, #Shrestha B, #Ferguson G, #Shrestha PN, Clark CJ. ‘Change really does need to start from home:’ impact of an intimate partner violence prevention strategy among married couples in Nepal. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 2019 Mar 28:886260519839422. PMID: 30917734 DOI: 10.1177/0886260519839422. [Epub ahead of print]
- Clark CJ, *Wetzel M, Renner LM, Scott H, Logeais ME. Linking partner violence survivors to supportive services: impact of the M Health Community Network project on healthcare utilization, BMC Health Services Research, 2019,19:479; PMID: 31299953; PMC6624981 DOI:10.1186/s12913-019-4313-9 DOI: 10.1186/s12913-019-4313-9
- *Nguyen-Feng V, *Morrissette J, #Lewis-Dmello A, #Michel H, #Anders D, *Wagner C, Clark CJ. Trauma-sensitive yoga as an adjunctive mental health treatment for survivors of intimate partner violence: A qualitative examination. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, Spirituality in Clinical Practice (APA Journal), 6, 27-43. DOI:10.1037/scp000017.
- Renner LM, Wang Q, Logeais ME, Clark CJ. Health care providers’ readiness to identify and respond to intimate partner violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 2019 Aug 12:886260519867705. DOI: 10.1177/0886260519867705. [Epub ahead of print]
- Clark CJ, Cheong YK, Gupta J, #Ferguson G, #Shrestha B, #Shrestha PN, Yount KM. Intimate partner violence in Nepal: latent patterns and association with depressive symptoms. Social Science and Medicine-Population Health, 2019 Dec;9:100481. PMC6978479 DOI:10.1016/j.ssmph.2019.100481
- Heise L, Pallitto C, Garcia Moreno C, Clark CJ. Measuring psychological abuse by intimate partners: Constructing a cross-cultural indicator for the Sustainable Development Goals, Social Science and Medicine-Population Health, 2019 Dec;9:100377 DOI:10.1016/j.ssmph.2019.100377
- Clark CJ, #Ferguson G, #Shrestha B, #Shrestha PN, *Batayeh B, *Bergenfeld I, *Chang S, *McGhee S. Mixed methods assessment of women’s risk of intimate partner violence in Nepal. BMC Women’s Health, 2019 Jan 28;19(1):20. PMID:30691430 PMC6350343 DOI:10.1186/s12905-019-0715-4
- Cislaghi B, Denny EK, Cisse M, Gueye P, #Shrestha B, #Shrestha, PN, #Ferguson G, Hughes C, Clark CJ. Changing social norms: the importance of "organized diffusion" for scaling-up community health promotion interventions. Prevention Science, 2019 Aug;20(6):936-946. PMID:30747395 PMC6647388 DOI:10.1007/s11121-019-00998-3
Areas of Interest
- Global Health
- Injury & Violence Prevention
- Reproductive Health
- Women’s Health
- BA 1996, University of Kansas
- MPH 1999, Yale School of Public Health
- ScD 2005, Harvard School of Public Health
- GH 500D: Addressing Key Iss Global Hlth
- GH 585: Gender-Based Violence in GH
- No Publications listed