Dr. Chavarria's lab focuses on addressing cancer disparities by leveraging communication technologies. Dr. Chavarria's research implements evidence based interventions in community-based settings delivered via culturally salient manners among medically underserved and vulnerable populations. Dr. Chavarria's research interests are twofold: 1) Investigate reasons for cancer disparities that burden underserved and vulnerable populations, and 2) develop interventions that ameliorate these disparities. Dr. Chavarria's lab aims to promote health equity through research that looks to reduce the burden of cancer incidence and mortality among medically underserved and vulnerable populations.
1518 Clifton Road
Atlanta , GA 30322
- Ph.D. 2014, University of Florida
- Masters of Science 2010, University of Florida
- Bachelors of Science 2009, University of Florida
- Chavarria, E.A, Christy, S.M., Simmons, V., Vadaparampil, V., Gwede, C., & Meade, C. , 2021, Learner Verification: A Methodology to Create Suitable Education Materials. , Health Literacy Research and Practice, ,
- Davis, S.N., Wischhusen, J.W., Sutton, S.K., Christy, S.M., Chavarria, E.A., Sutter, M.E., Roy, S., Meade, C.D., Gwede, C.K. , 2020, Demographic and psychosocial factors associated with limited health literacy in a community-based sample of older Black Americans. , Patient Education and Counseling, 103, 385-391.
- Gwede, C.K., Sutton, S., Chavarria, E.A., Abdulla, R., Gutierrez, L., Klasko, L., Martinez Tyson, D., Aguado Loi, C., Sanchez, J., & Meade, C.D. , 2019, A culturally-linguistically salient intervention to increase fecal immunochemical test uptake among Spanish- preferring Latino adults receiving care in community-based clinics., Health Education Research, 34, 310-320.
- Aguado-Loi, C.X., Martinez-Tyson, D., Chavarria, E.A., Klasko, L., Gutierrez, L., Johns, T., Lin, H., Davis, S.N., Meade, C., & Gwede, C., 2018, ‘Simple and easy’: Providers’ and Latinos’ perceptions of the fecal immunochemical test (FIT) for colorectal cancer screening. , Ethnicity and Health, 25, 206-221.
- Christy, S.M., Schmidt, A., Wang, H.L., Sutton, S.K., Davis, S.N., Chavarria, E.A., Abdulla R., Quinn, G.P., Vadaparampil, S.T., Schultz, I., Roetzheim, R., Shibata, D., Meade, C.D., & Gwede, C.K. , 2018, Understanding cancer worry among patients in a community clinic-based colorectal cancer screening intervention study. , Nursing Research, 67, 275-285.
- Christy, S.M., Sutton, S.K., Gwede, C.K., Chavarria, E.A., Davis, S.N., Abdulla, R., Ravindra, C., Schultz, I., Roetzheim, R., Shibata, D., & Meade, C.D. , 2017, Examining the durability of colorectal cancer screening awareness and health beliefs among medically-underserved patients: Baseline to 12 months post-intervention., Journal of Cancer Education, 34, 297-303.
- Christy, S.M., Gwede, C.K., Sutton, S.K., Chavarria, E.A., Davis, S.N., Abdulla, R., Ravindra, C., Schultz, I., Roetzheim, R., & Meade, C.D. , 2017, Health literacy among medically-underserved: The role of demographic factors, social influence, and religious beliefs. , Journal of Health Communication, 22, 923-931.
- Chavarria, E. A., Chaney, B., Stellefson, M., Chaney, J.D., Chavarria, N., & Dodd, V. , 2017, Predictors of Online Health Information-seeking Behaviors among College Latino Men. , Health Behavior and Policy Review, 4, 367-379.
- Chavarria, E.A., Chaney, B., Stellefson, M., Chaney, J.D., Chavarria, N., & Dodd, V. , 2017, Types and factors associated with online health information seeking among college men in Latino fraternities: A qualitative study., American Journal of Men’s Health, 11, 1692-1702.