Dorian Lamis, PhD, ABPP, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Lamis received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Georgia and his doctorate from the University of South Carolina.
Dr. Lamis is a board certified licensed clinical psychologist, completing both his internship and postdoctoral training at the Emory University School of Medicine. His research focuses on mood disorders, substance use, and suicidal behaviors in a variety of populations including adolescents, African Americans, and patients with serious mental illnesses (SMI). He has published over 150 peer reviewed articles and book chapters on these topics. In addition, Dr. Lamis is the senior editor of two books on suicide entitled Understanding and Preventing College Student Suicide (2011) and Advancing the Science of Suicidal Behavior: Understanding and Intervention (2015).
Dr. Lamis is the Director of Education and Training at the Injury Prevention Research Center at Emory, the Director of Research at the Grady Nia Project, and the Associate Director of the Postdoctoral Residency Program in Health Service Psychology. Dr. Lamis also has a strong interest in clinical work, especially with patients with SMI and are at-risk for suicide and/or other self-harm behaviors. He provides direct clinical and administrative services in the Grady Memorial Hospital Behavioral Health Outpatient Clinic, as well as supervises psychology practicum students, interns, and postdoctoral fellows; medical students; and residents.
10 Park Place
Atlanta , GA 30303
Areas of Interest
- Behavior and Health
- Clinical Trials
- Injury & Violence Prevention
- Mental Health
- Substance Use/Harm Reduction
- Clinical Psychology 2013, University of South Carolina
Affiliations & Activities
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – Georgia Chapter
American Association of Suicidology
Society for a Science of Clinical Psychology
American Psychological Association
Georgia Psychological Association
- Lamis DA, Ballard ED, May AM, Dvorak RD., 2016, Depressive Symptoms and Suicidal Ideation in College Students: The Mediating and Moderating Roles of Hopelessness, Alcohol Problems, and Social Support., Journal of Clinical Psychology, 72, 919-32
- Ballard ED, Patel AB, Ward M, Lamis DA., 2015, Future disposition and suicidal ideation: mediation by depressive symptom clusters., Journal of Affective Disorders, 1, 1-6
- Tarantino N, Lamis DA, Ballard ED, Masuda A, Dvorak RD., 2015, Parent-child conflict and drug use in college women: a moderated mediation model of self-control and mindfulness., Journal of Counseling Psychology, 62, 303-13
- Lamis DA, Ballard ED, Patel AB., 2014, Loneliness and suicidal ideation in drug-using college students., Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 44, 629-40
- Lamis DA, Kaslow NJ., 2014, Mediators of the daily hassles-suicidal ideation link in African American women., Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 44, 233-45